Friday, April 11, 2014

Give Peace a Chance

Hello everyone!  Alison here again, and I'm absolutely delighted to be introducing our guest for April - Susi of Froebelsternchen.

I'm a huge fan of her beautiful work... she's an absolute artist with paint effects and layers, and her art journalling is stunning.  She's constantly exploring and evolving - and I find that hugely inspiring.  If you've never visited her blog, I heartily recommend it.  Keep an eye out for the brilliant MOOs - they pop up all over the place! - and so many other wonders.

Take a look at her absolutely gorgeous creation for Our Creative Corner, inspired by this month's challenge theme: With a Song in Your Heart...

***********************


I am so excited and honoured to be invited to make something for the theme "With A Song In Your Heart".  I chose one of my lifelong favourite songs for this event and tried to express my feelings and inner pictures to this song.  I am sure everybody knows this timeless world-wide hit written by John Lennon - here is a link to hear it:



  In my mind this song is a beautiful statement of love and hope. 


I made some step by step photos for you to see my progress.

I started by gluing random pieces of old bookpages on an 8 by 8 (21 x 21 cm) piece of thick cardboard. I used cheap white schoolglue and a stiff brush for this. The next step was to brush a thin layer of the same white glue all over the surface and let dry this.


(I always use a heat tool to speed up the drying time - but I keep distance to the glue otherwise it will bubble.)

I aged the surface then with dark brown acrylic paint -


I applied a generous amount of paint with a sponge - sprayed with water and wiped away the most of the paint soon after with a rag. While the ground was drying I prepared three torn stripes of homemade colored papers of mine, (I always use acrylic paints and sprays for this, so they don't smear when liquid glue is used) drew a starfish on a sprayed piece of paper and cut it out.


This pieces were arranged on the background and glued on with the white glue by gluing the back and the front of the papers - that seals very good. 


Now it was time to stamp some random designs with matching colors of waterproof inkpads and bring on a touch of white over the whole design to tone  it down a bit ( I took a white colored ink spray - you can also use a simple white wash with water-thinned white gesso or white acrylic paint.)


I coloured some areas with pastel sticks and defined the starfish and all edges with a charcoal pencil.  To get  the pastels and charcoal pencil permanent I sprayed a coat of spray fixative (some artists use hairspray for this).


Then I cut out the letters I needed from a sentiment stamped with black archival ink on white tissue paper and glued it on my starfish with gluestick (a pair of tweezers is very handy for this).


I stamped on white accents with white acrylic paint and let it dry.


I applied a layer of white glue on the starfish - let it dry overnight and wrote my message with white correction pen on the piece and outlined each letter with charcoal pencil. With white oil pastel crayon I made some accents on the starfish. As a last sealing I sprayed two layers of fixative over the entire piece.

I hope you like my creation and maybe you can give the techniques a try to create such an 
Mixed Media Piece - it is so much fun to do and the progress will move and delight your inner artist! Believe me!

****************************

Thank you so much, Susi - a beautiful artwork, and some great mixed media tips and techniques.  It's lovely to share in your creative process with all those photos too, thank you.

If you've been inspired to create With A Song In Your Heart, you have until the 28th April to play along.  Don't forget, we'd like to see either the lyrics or the title of the song which has inspired you on your creation, and let us know the name of the song in your post.

You'll find all the challenge details and rules here, along with the fantastic song-inspired projects of the Design Team.  Do come and play!
Alison xx

13 comments:

  1. Superb Susi! Love the way this canvas looks and how wonderful that we get to see how you made it too. So many ideas to learn from. Thank you so much for being a special guest this month at Our Creative Corner. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susi, happy to see here.
    Wonderful canvas and TFS tutorial...love the texture and soft colors

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful - as always with Susi's work! LOVE that starfish and her choice of song! And that background is brilliant! Sooo glad to have her with us this month!

    Caudia x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susi, this is one fantastic piece and a brilliant step by step!! So many fab ideas and the ultimate result looks amazing. I adore this song and your finished artwork!! Thank you for the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous piece of art. Elizabeth xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous piece you created Susi
    and
    thank you so much for your wonderful tutorial on how you created it!
    oxo
    p.s. I L♥ve that song very much too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful project. So simple yet so many layers and the glue on the star, wow, what a great idea. xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that song as well. Its a great project, love how you made the star.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous project!! Wonderful artwork with very creative ideas! And I love the song very much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so beautiful, Susi - and looking at it with the song playing is quite a magical experience. Thank you so much for being our guest this month, and sharing your wonderful work with us.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. It’s so nice to see Susi here...I am her fan and I admire her work for a long time! This piece is awesome with fantastic background!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lot of layers, Susi, no wonder it looks so rich and deep. The end result is lovely, as always with your art.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful creation dear Susi! I love the dimensional starfish so much :) Mix It Monthly ♥ Conny

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting Our Creative Corner! We will publish your comment as soon as possible.... Hope you come back to see us soon xxx